Monday 3 March 2014

Anglicised Peking Duck

Sarah and I went to Red Chilli.  I once ordered a Cantonese food from this Sichuanese and northern Chinese restaurant was one of the biggest mistake I made.

This time I was extra careful in my choices.  Since I could not tolerate Sichuanese food, I ordered mostly northern food.  To be exact, I suspect some of the dishes are not official 'northern', but to a Cantonese, they are all northern.  So the meal was a preview for Sarah's upcoming trip to China.

The York branch is ran by a Cantonese, I suppose York's Chinese population is still primarily Cantonese.

The food were okay, the only 'mistake' I spotted was then the Peking duck was served with meat.  Authentic versions of the dish serving mostly the skin/fat and little meat.  Sarah picked out all the fat and really defeat the purpose of the dish.  I warned Sarah that she will probably be offered Peking duck in Beijing, but there will be no meat, and that she is better off refusing the dish outright.

We were stuffed with food and the bill was unsurprisingly cheaper than the one in Betty's.  We can definitely return to Red Chilli in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.