Sunday 24 March 2019

Broken Harley

I stopped at Donnington Service for a ride out.  The gang left without me and some broken down Harley flagged me down to see if I can help.  He has some clutch problem, and he insisted on opening up the clutch to adjust.  I told them bikes have wet clutch, and we will get oil everywhere! Obviously we want to adjust the cable first.  Anywho, we played with the cable a little bit, and the clutch appears to be either all or nothing.  I think the friction plates are gone.  The allen keys in the Triumph kit is standard 4 and 5 mm, and the Harley are using imperial measurements!  There is not more I can try for them.  Their friend turned up with some allen keys, but I am not sure if they are old money.  Even if they can get the worn down clutch enough adjustment to limp home, they probably will damage the gasket and oil will be everywhere.  I just wished them luck and came home.  The friend with the Hornet concluded everything is wrong with an old Harley.  That is probably true, but when you see an old bike with a new clutch cable, you should always check if the clutch is already worn and the cable is just a cheap way to mask this expensive wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.