Thursday 31 August 2023

The Battery Saga

So Danby's battery died and the car won't crank over.  It is 9 years old, so I am certain it was the culprit.  After trying to jump her, unsuccessfully, I asked the neighbour to move his car so I can scoot back and let Pizza out.  Ever so helpful, he chimed in it could be the alternator.

I left the car on charge whilst we were out, the battery charged up from 9V back to 12V, but it still won't crank over.  So I started battery shopping. 

I first searched for mobile battery fitting.  Halfords somehow does not do my battery.  I clicked through Nationals, and placed an order, only to be cancelled after they decided they do not do mobile fitting and their sister Halfords does not stock it.  Useless.  Nationals also do not do delivery, so that is them out.

The whole time I was screaming "'ow much?!"  These days car batteries are close to £200!

So I thought I would just pay over the odd and get AA to come, so I placed an order, only to be told there is an additional surcharge, so sack that.

I contacted some mobile mechanics and Whocanfixmycar.  Some of them quoted, automatically, only to confirm they don't do mobile fitting.  One mechanic quoted, wanting £120 for a cheap battery and £60 to fit.  When I asked him to get a different one, he wouldn't, so let's park that.  One other mobile mechanic, recommended by Steve, wasn't that keen to quote, when I told him I am getting the battery and he said he would fit at £40, but didn't give availability.

I looked at a few videos online, it seems straight forward enough.  One video said I would need to reset the ECU, but the rest didn't so I kept my fingers crossed.

So I ended up getting a Yuasa from GSF.  I waited and waited, and it was delivered by UPS at 4:30pm.  I decided to do it myself, I put the battery in and Danby started, hurray!  I took her out on a spin, to the tip with bags of gardening waste and the battery.

Danby was so happy that, her Start/Stop started almost straight the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.