Monday 18 July 2016

BikeSafe 2016 National Show & Track Experience at Rockingham

This year instead of BikeWise I opted for BikeSafe 2016.  I expected more of the same thing, except it is on a race circuit and with a potential track experience.


Being in a race circuit was a new experience.  The tunnel going between the paddock and the stand is interesting.

This BikeSafe is smaller than the BikeWise at Aykley Heads.  Fewer shows, fewer rides and as a result fewer kids, which is good.  Dave Coates was there doing stunts.  It appeared to have more bike test ride stands; I could have tried on a few new bikes if I had not left my helmet at the bike.  The stands were rather regional, there were two writers selling their motorcycle travel books.  The clientele is Midlandish, and I rather prefer the Northern crowd.  I took the opportunity to try the Extreme Wheelie 'simulator'.  While I was in the queue there was this misogynistic guy suggested to the other lady in the queue that she would be at the back of the boyfriend's bike as he does wheelie on the way home, to which she replied, "I am on my own bike, thank you very much."  And he was also troubled by my gender and called me "lad".  This was not painting a good picture for the Midlanders.

There were a lot of motorcycle cops from a few forces came up for a jolly.  The cop to show goers ratio was definitely much higher than BikeWise.

So it was my turn on the wheelie machine, it was hard work.  My arms were clinging onto the bike, at the same time I was supposed to apply good control on the throttle, it was difficult.  I don't think the real life wheelie would be any easier.  It maybe easy to just pop the front for a few second, and it will be hardwork to sustain the lift.  I am glad I ticked the box and would never do it again.

They also have the track experience setup.  I enquired about the requirement, and maybe next time when BikeSafe is back on a circuit, I shall sign up and tick off the track experience.

Lastly I chatted with the blood bikers.  I asked how I could volunteer, and they pointed me to google.  I found the White Knights.  I don't have IAM and not planning to do it anytime soon, so maybe they could have my service in the future.

I got a couple neck tubes and a pile of motorcycle magazines.  It was not a bad day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.