Wednesday 19 July 2017

Scottish GBMCC Grand Tour: Day 4 Isle of Skye

We stopped at Kyle of Lochalsh for breakfast.  This Hectors Bothy is meant to be good breakfast, so I opted for a safe choice, again, for a link sausage sandwich.  It was terrible, the worst type of sausages.  I should have went for the lorne sausage sandwich!

1DSCF9016

We crossed the bridge into Isle of Skye and went straight for Talisker.  I could not believe how many cars and caravans were in Skye, and it became apparently quickly that the road users were not very friendly nor tolerant!

1DSCF9017

We stopped at Dunvegan Skye's oldest Bakery for a quick break.  They only do basic bakes these days.

We went onto Uig Orasay Tearoom for lunch.  I ascertained that it was local crab before I ordered, otherwise what was the point?  It was indeed very fresh, very delicate.

We went onto some mountain road across the isle and it was still full of cars and caravans.  It can be amusing to see the caravans and motor homes wiggle down the single lane hairpin bends, but it was not amusing when I was in close proximity!

We wiggles down another single track to catch a ferry back from Kylerhea to the mainland.  The track was quite horrendous.  But this ferry is different to all the other ferries, this is the last working turntable ferry.  The wooden deck was quite scary.
1DSCF9023

The road back to Kintail was still bad but not as bad.
1DSCF9025
The pub employed a accordion player to entertain the wedding guests, but we were not sure why he was playing in the pub when we were eating.  I only got my dinner at 9:30!  I opted for the extortionately priced scallops, they were nice, very delicate, so I ate them separately to the rest of the dish to taste them.  I think they were slightly undercooked, but it was still acceptable.

By then I have done about 800 miles. Mike commented about Paul's tyres couldn't make another 1000 miles.  When I checked Paul's tyres, they looked adequate, but when I checked mine, it was more worrying...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.