Friday 21 July 2017

Scottish GBMCC Grand Tour: Day 6 John O'Groats

The weather forecast was not nice, most people were taking it easy, but Mark, Gwilym and I pressed onto John O'Groats, via coastal route, aka North Coast 500 route.  It was difficult.

1DSCF9051

As it turned out, we were in the Mackay Country.  All the shops were Mackay and Sons.  We stopped at a chocolate shop called Cocoa Mountain.  They invested in many brown signs!  All of us had a hot chocolate. I also had a chocolate tart, which as adulterated with mint, I was not impressed.  We also stopped at the beach for quick snaps.  So soon as I felt midges hitting my face, I shut my visor and walked away!
1DSCF9055
1DSCF9056

We were convinced John O'Groats would be a rip off, so we stopped again at Thurso for our lunch.  I pointed at the local baker, Johnstons of Thurso, I had a bridie - meat pastie, Mark had a girddle scone - muffin, Gwilym had a strawberry drop scone.  I thought about an unadulterated chocolate tart, and I managed to stop myself.

We finally got to John O'Groats, and we did not stay for long, by then we were soaking wet!

We went home via more mountain roads!  But at least it started to dry up, ie midges!

I did not go back to the fish restaurant, I went to the Lochinver Larder, aka the pie shop.  I was struggling to choose a pie, and since they were down to the last chicken and ham pie, I went for it.  Yummy, I wonder if they put sugar in them...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.