Friday 29 December 2023

Day 6 The Netherlands - Gouda

I bid my friends goodbye, I left and went to Gouda.  I changed the original plan in order to go to Gouda on Thursday, when the flour windmill was open. 

I walked through the Hague, onto the train and arrived in Gouda.

I went to the flour mill first, bought ourselves some wholemeal flour.

Then I walked into town, around the market, bought a sausage roll and a cheese roll.  Their sausage roll has more spices.  The cheese roll's cheese were milder.

I went to the syrup wafel factory and actually paid for a tour.  I had A LOT of wafel.  Unlike stoopwafel, which is one wafel halved and filled, syrup wafel is two wafel stuck together.  Double the amount of crunch.

I walked past a chip shop and saw a shrimp croquette, which I missed when I was in Amsterdam.  I ordered one, whilst waiting, I saw the fish shop next store were also doing shrimp croquette, cheaper!

I ate the first shrimp croquette, it was full of brown shrimp, very shrimpy.  Surely the fish shop knows what they are doing, so I went to the fish shop.  I asked what were their kibbling, and they said cod, so I asked for a portion of fish and a shrimp croquette.  The fish were nice, and the shrimp croquette was spicier but a lot less shrimp.

I decided to save a tiny amount of money by taking regional train/bus to the airport.  


Distance travelled on foot, approximately 8 miles.

Dutch food:
Dutch crisps, garlic
Dutch Sausage roll
Siroopwafel
Kibbling, cod
Garnalkroket, shrimp x 2
Dutch cheese roll

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.